[Klug-general] Baffled again - samba networking

Alan Buchel alan at communitytechnology.org.uk
Mon Jul 26 18:25:05 UTC 2010

On 26/07/10 17:41, Michael E. Rentell wrote:

> Michael E. Rentell, BA
> Treasurer
> www.airship-association.org
>
> On 26/07/10 17:28, Alan Buchel wrote:
>> On 26/07/10 12:23, Michael E. Rentell wrote:
>>> Good morning all,
>>> Another knotty problem. For reasons I won't bore you with I've switched
>>> from Mandriva/PCLOS to Linux Mint for both my home network (2 PCs wired
>>> through a router).
>>>
>>> I've never used Microsoft networking and samba before (previously nfs)
>>> so I'm way outa my depth here as that's all the networking on offer it
>>> seems.
>>>
>>> When ever I try and 'see' files on the MAIN machine (I have 'shared'
>>> them) from the BACKUP machine I get a password demand. As this is a
>>> ubuntu derivative there is only the one password for me and that doesn't
>>> work.
>>>
>>> How do I find out what password it requires?
>>>
>>> I'm sure this is a trivial problem, but only for those who 'just know'.
>>> And I don't.
>>>
>>> Any ideas would be welcome.
>>>
>>> MikeR

>> Perhaps you need to set the users samba password:
>>
>> smbpasswd -a username
>>
>> In theory you can have the passwords for samba sync with Unix or LDAP
>> using:
>>
>> unix password sync = Yes
>>
>> but that also requires configuration of PAM.. another story!

> That seemed a quick answer to the problem so I have just entered
> smbpasswd -a mick and got the answer command not found. So I thought I
> needed to enter it as sudo smbpasswd -a username. Same result.
> So I thought maybe the samba server wasn't installed. I checked Synaptic
> and it said samba was loaded but above it was samba4 which said it was a
> server and was not installed. So I installed it.
> Same result.
>
> Any ideas why entering smbpasswd -a username don't work?
>
> Still baffled but a little wiser. Thanks.
>
> MikeR

As far as I knew /usr/bin/smbpasswd is included in samba package, so
perhaps /usr/bin/ is simply not in your user $PATH (bash environment
variable), but probably it is in root's path. Try:

echo $PATH

Now we can try root's path by typing:

sudo su -

this gives you a root bash and inherits root's path. I mostly use this
instead of sudo because sudo don't give root's tab completion.

echo $PATH

Shows roots $PATH, see if it's the same as yourn.

which smbpasswd

will show up where it is IF it is in root's $PATH. If it still aint
there try from # prompt:

find / -iname "smbpasswd"

If still not then... what about:

apt-file search smbpasswd

(you have to install apt-file first!)

Else we need to find out if there is something weird about this linux
distro called MINT which looks to me quite like something to eat