[Klug-general] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Now here's a funny thing.

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 4 14:05:22 UTC 2010

>>> My guess is (based on your clue) Each line is a hex number with 00 to
>>>
> indicate the end of cahr and FF as carriage return. this leaves 80 bit
> that can be 0 or 1 to indicate on or off pixel.
>        I am an oldie but this is a result of my logic - right or wrong - No
> prior knowledge!
>            Rich.
>   Respects Mike you seem to caahrting waters that i have yet to attempt.
> Very encouraging to a sixty two year old and

>>> I'd guess something to do with limited memory. At one point, it was not
>>> pixels which were stored, but 8-bit ASCII characters, so 80 x 25 =
>>> 2000kb.
>>>

>>> james.
>>>

>> wrong! Any else wanna go before I have to put down me cocoa and give the
>> answer all us old hands know?
>>
>> Clue  - the answer begins with H....
>> MikeR    :-)

And I'm older than thee.
H stands for Hollerith who invented punched cards (hands up whoever
remembers them) - me!
There were 80 columns and 25 lines on a Hollerith card. So when screens
came along so very much later it was natural to replicate the data of
the Hollerith card.
Get some in O younger geeks.If you don't know where you have come from,
how do you know where you are going to?
And, of course, it is completely useless information. But it makes old
guys feel - er - like Reely Old!
MikeR