[Klug-general] Kmail Address Book

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 5 14:03:40 UTC 2010

Margot wrote:
> Mike Rentell wrote:

>>> No idea about your Kmail problem I'm afraid - I'm still using
>>> Thunderbird - but I had to downgrade back to Thunderbird 2 from 3
>>> because 3 was so unstable. So unstable, in fact, that it was
>>> completely unusable - it crashed every time I input my password to
>>> collect my mail!
>>>
>>> Thunderbird 3 looks to have some nice features, but if I can't
>>> actually read my mail in it I'll wait until some bugs have been
>>> fixed before I try it again.
>>
>> Ah, now that is reassuring. It ain't just me then. Where did you get your old
>> version 2 from?
>> mikeR
>>

> Mandriva 2010 still officially uses Thunderbird 2 - version 3 is in
> the "backports" repo, so I tried it but when it didn't work out I
> just went back to the version of 2 in the normal repo.
>
> mozilla-thunderbird-2.0.0.23-3.3mdv2010.0.i586.rpm is available here:
> ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2010.0/i586/media/main/updates/
>
> As PCLOS is Mandriva-based, maybe this rpm would work for you?

  Thank you for going to that trouble. Although PCLOS is Mandriva based,
its installer is synaptic. All the installables are presented as rpms so
you'd think that other offerings in rpm format would work. But they
don't. I've tried several times. You either take what is available on
the PCLOS repository or you have to compile things from scratch.

But I've now found Seamonkey ver 2.0.1 on the PCLOS repository and that
works just fine. It found all my Tbird mailboxes and .. just works.

But thanks for trying, much appreciated.
--
MikeR