[Klug-general] Ubuntu Branding

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Sat Mar 6 18:25:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, March 6, 2010 16:33, Colin McCarthy wrote:
> On 6 March 2010 15:30, George Prowse <george.prowse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/03/2010 14:56, Anoj Perera wrote:
>> > Looks like ubuntu is becoming more like Mac
>> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand
>> >

>> As a Mac owner (and Ubuntu) I can tell you in no uncertain terms that
>> that is far from Mac

Maybe, Anoj was not speaking literally in terms of visual style of Ubuntu,
but was in fact speaking in reference to the dogma?

> Yes Ubuntu is free and open and gives you choice. Ubuntu is for
> individuals.

Ubuntu is no more for individuals than MS-Windows is, and it's just as
preachy and full of itself.

What choices have you made with Ubuntu that you cannot make with any other
Linux distro? Aside from switching from one Ubuntu theme to another and
finding the difference is so subtle as to be entirely worthless. I have to
admit though, they're being ever so daring in that screen shot to have a
menu colour which is the low side of #f0f0f0... Woa! They've gone almost
into pure black, it's actually darker than #404040 OMG!!

james.