[Klug-general] MSIE isn't compliant

Karl Buckland buckland.karl at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 16 11:26:51 UTC 2010

I believe you need to include the URL keyword in your content parameter:
content="2;url=http://www.Google.com/"

Karl

On Mar 16, 2010 11:13 AM, "Michael E. Rentell" <michael.rentell at ntlworld.com>
wrote:

I'm sure everyone knows that MSIE isn't standards compliant but it gave
me a real headache yesterday. My association has moved its website to a
new server so I wanted to put a redirector html page on the old site so
as not to lose members and casual viewers.

My HTML 3.2 handbook (yes I know it's old but so am I) gives a nice line
to go in the <HEAD> section:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
CONTENT="5; nextpage.html">

That gives a five second delay before switching viewers to
nextpage.html. Neat, so I implemented it.

It worked with Firefox and Konqueror under Linux. When I switched to my
WindowsXP under VirtualBox it also worked with Firefox and Google Chrome
but not MSIE ver 8 which just kept recycling on the first page, failing
to switch. So clearly MSIE is non-compliant with html 3.2. Other members
using barefoot windoze complained of the same experience.

Does anyone know the line which will work for all browsers?

Baffled. No change there then.

--
MikeR