[Klug-general] Low energy server

Peter Apps peter at sheppey.free-online.co.uk
Mon May 10 19:52:27 UTC 2010

I'm trying to save energy and been trying various combinations of NAS
gadgets, drives, Samba and FTP to act as a simple server.

I could get away with 10 gigabytes as it's mainly text files.

The problem is, neither Samba nor FTP mount as seamlessly as my present
SSH setup. I think it's because they use Vfat instead of ext3 and
there's problems with permissions.

Can anyone suggest a system that could run for twenty fours hours a day
on minimal energy and serve my network via SSH? Speed is not important.
I can't think of other criteria though I have a feeling there may be
some.

Regards, Peter.