[Klug-general] broadcasting to multiple screens

james snyder snyder.webmaster at googlemail.com
Thu May 20 11:08:13 UTC 2010

Has anyone out there ever successfully used an open source "VNC" type GPL
application in an educational context for multiple screen sharing?

We are attempting to allow a distributed group of 24+ students
simultaneously to view a single lecturer computer screen being manipulated
by an instructor.
The instructor does not need to take control of the students' computers to
provide assistance, so it is not a remote desktop application we are
searching for.
I have used a similar proprietary application called RM Ranger for the
purpose of screen sharing from an ICT Teacher to 30 pupils (at Maplesden
Noakes), with variable results, whilst at Greenwich University we have also
used Belkin VGA splitters already for broadcasting presentations to 12
machines in the same room.
However, things start getting rather messy, time consuming and expensive
once we attempt to connect more than 20 or 30 machines in the same computer
laboratory room.
The Operating System for both the VPN server and VPN client in this scenario
is a Micro$haft windoze XP client on Novel Zenworks 17.0 for Linux SuSe and
we have local administrative login on all 30 named machines in the same
computer laboratory room.
We are particularly interested to know your experience of the limitations of
viewers in terms of maximum number of end viewers on client machines,
security restrictions and bandwidth constraints.
(Suggestion: maybe the solution to this scenario could be applied to a KLUG
meeting demonstration where a projector is not being used)
If you prefer you could reply off mailing list to: <
james.snyder at linuxmail.org>
Cheers.