[Klug-general] (no subject)

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 14:21:59 UTC 2010

> well I went to send and email and it asked me for the password but when
> i had a look online it had already sent it. That leads me to believe
> some keylogger is on my computer.

That doesn't sound like a logical conclusion based on the evidence and
what we know about Thunderbird.  Thunderbird itself generally stores
passwords required to access accounts it is configured to access.  Even
if Thunderbird had succeeded in sending an email when you had not given
it a password I don't see why that means there is a keylogger on your
computer.  Keyloggers typically record keypresses under certain
circumstances, and then send the results to another computer on the
internet.  They don't start dispatching emails for you.

Of course, if you do have a keylogger operating on your machine then it
may well have been logging whilst you changed your gmail password.
However, assuming you are using a Linux machine this is (again)
extremely unlikely as the vast majority of those things target Windows
users, and security on Linux has always been such that it is very hard
to install something like that secretly.

Mike