[Klug-general] Printers from Virtualbox

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 28 12:00:08 UTC 2010

Good morning all,
After reading the very favourable view of PinguyOS in the latest edition
of Linux Format I decided to give it a whirl. One of the advantages is
that a 64-bit version is available. It is a version of Ubuntu Meerkat
but it has all the bells and whistles already installed. So it's good
for idiots  :-)

I used to run PCLinuxOS which is similarly idiot-proof but doesn't come
in 64-bit and is KDE and decidedly not an Ubuntu version - actually it's
based on Mandriva.

I need VirtualBox to run an XP so that I can use Sage accounts. With
PCLinuxOS I could direct the VB/WinXP printer setup wizard to
http://192.168.2.2:631/printers/EPSONSPRX510 and it just worked.

With PinguyOS the VB works fine and picked up the existing WinXP
installation but I can't get the printers to work. They have, of course,
changed their name to a Gnome preference and under
/System/Admin/Printing the printer appears to be called
EPSON-Stylus-RX520 although the Properties button shows a different
setup: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20RX520

I can't seem to access it from VB/WinXP as I did before. I have no
experience of Ubuntu setups so I'm clearly doing something wrong but I'd
like to get mainstream and everything else 'just works'.

Any ideas folks?

MikeR