[Klug-general] Printers from Virtualbox

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Sun Nov 28 13:54:39 UTC 2010

On 28 November 2010 12:00, Michael E. Rentell
<michael.rentell at ntlworld.com>wrote:

> Good morning all,
> After reading the very favourable view of PinguyOS in the latest edition of
> Linux Format I decided to give it a whirl. One of the advantages is that a
> 64-bit version is available. It is a version of Ubuntu Meerkat but it has
> all the bells and whistles already installed. So it's good for idiots  :-)
>
> I used to run PCLinuxOS which is similarly idiot-proof but doesn't come in
> 64-bit and is KDE and decidedly not an Ubuntu version - actually it's based
> on Mandriva.
>
> I need VirtualBox to run an XP so that I can use Sage accounts. With
> PCLinuxOS I could direct the VB/WinXP printer setup wizard to
> http://192.168.2.2:631/printers/EPSONSPRX510 and it just worked.
>
> With PinguyOS the VB works fine and picked up the existing WinXP
> installation but I can't get the printers to work. They have, of course,
> changed their name to a Gnome preference and under /System/Admin/Printing
> the printer appears to be called EPSON-Stylus-RX520 although the Properties
> button shows a different setup: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20RX520
>
> I can't seem to access it from VB/WinXP as I did before. I have no
> experience of Ubuntu setups so I'm clearly doing something wrong but I'd
> like to get mainstream and everything else 'just works'.
>
> Any ideas folks?

No experience of PCLinuxOS but this works in Ubuntu

1. On the host, System, Preference, Printers (or at least thats where it is
in Ubuntu) and check the printer is set up and working.
2. Again on the host point the browser at http://localhost:631/ and check
what you can see, this is the web interface for cups and you need to check,
a> You can see your printer under Printers and b> under Administration,
Share Printers connected to this system is ticked. you can also get this
ticked in the utility 1. but 2. will work no matter what your using...
3. Check networking works in the WinXP in virtual box
4. point a webbrowser in WinXP Virtual box at the host, at
http://192.168.2.2:631/ but the host IP may be different and check it looks
the same as in 2. Select the printer and copy the url into the Add Printer
Wizard.

I've never used Virtual Machines much, I don't own enough WinXP
licences.....

Peter.