[Klug-general] Printers from Virtualbox

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 28 16:42:44 UTC 2010

On 28/11/10 13:54, Peter Childs wrote:

> On 28 November 2010 12:00, Michael E. Rentell
> <michael.rentell at ntlworld.com <mailto:michael.rentell at ntlworld.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Good morning all,
>     After reading the very favourable view of PinguyOS in the latest
>     edition of Linux Format I decided to give it a whirl. One of the
>     advantages is that a 64-bit version is available. It is a version
>     of Ubuntu Meerkat but it has all the bells and whistles already
>     installed. So it's good for idiots  :-)
>
>     I used to run PCLinuxOS which is similarly idiot-proof but doesn't
>     come in 64-bit and is KDE and decidedly not an Ubuntu version -
>     actually it's based on Mandriva.
>
>     I need VirtualBox to run an XP so that I can use Sage accounts.
>     With PCLinuxOS I could direct the VB/WinXP printer setup wizard to
>     http://192.168.2.2:631/printers/EPSONSPRX510 and it just worked.
>
>     With PinguyOS the VB works fine and picked up the existing WinXP
>     installation but I can't get the printers to work. They have, of
>     course, changed their name to a Gnome preference and under
>     /System/Admin/Printing the printer appears to be called
>     EPSON-Stylus-RX520 although the Properties button shows a
>     different setup: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20RX520
>
>     I can't seem to access it from VB/WinXP as I did before. I have no
>     experience of Ubuntu setups so I'm clearly doing something wrong
>     but I'd like to get mainstream and everything else 'just works'.
>
>     Any ideas folks?
>

> No experience of PCLinuxOS but this works in Ubuntu
>
> 1. On the host, System, Preference, Printers (or at least thats where
> it is in Ubuntu) and check the printer is set up and working.
> 2. Again on the host point the browser at http://localhost:631/ and
> check what you can see, this is the web interface for cups and you
> need to check, a> You can see your printer under Printers and b> under
> Administration, Share Printers connected to this system is ticked. you
> can also get this ticked in the utility 1. but 2. will work no matter
> what your using...
> 3. Check networking works in the WinXP in virtual box
> 4. point a webbrowser in WinXP Virtual box at the host, at
> http://192.168.2.2:631/ but the host IP may be different and check it
> looks the same as in 2. Select the printer and copy the url into the
> Add Printer Wizard.
>
> I've never used Virtual Machines much, I don't own enough WinXP
> licences.....
>
> Peter.

Yesss!  That worked - I had the queue names wrong and I hadn't got
sharing switched on. I couldn't see either of those in the Ubuntu
(PinguyOS) printer setup. But when I used localhost:631 all was crystal
clear.

Many many thanks for that. Now back where I was yesterday but with a
faster 64-bit all singing all dancing Ubuntu derivative.

MikeR