[Klug-general] Defragging Vista

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 05:56:47 UTC 2010

On 5 October 2010 06:45, Dan Attwood <danattwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried ccleaner?
>
> Running that first will help clear up any DLL rot and clear out temp files.
> Which in turn means less rubbish to defray.

No, but it has just started running...

While the defragmentation process appeared to be doing it properly, it
does of course conspire against linux by leaving a handful of files
scattered around the end of the Vista partition just to prevent
shrinking it.

My general plan is to backup the entire vista partition into a linux
partition (possibly within a 'container') so that after resizing the
vista partition, everything can be data can be exactly restored again
except the data is in one nice tidy block at the start of the
partition rather than scattered across it.

* install cygwin in windows and rsync in linux and backup windows into
linux using rsync (so that i can then delete everything in windows,
resize the partition, and then restore the backup). Problem: I don't
want to install cygwin.

* use linux zip command and from within the NFS directory zip windows
up onto the formerly mentioned nfs partition and then delete windows,
resize windows, and unzip/restore windows. Problem: i don't know if
the windows file attributes will restore properly, it takes hours.

does anyone have any known workable realistic suggestions for backing
up 18gb of windows partition to linux nfs partition and restoring it
to working state later?

Cheers,
James.

> On 5 Oct 2010 05:33, "James Morris" <jwm.art.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Don't you just love defragmenting Windows Vista NTFS partitions?
>> Don't you just love that you have to download a piece of software not
>> by Microsoft to do the job properly?
>>
>> So that you can shrink the partition without damaging Windows?
>>
>> I just can't quite convey the fun I'm having!
>>
>> I ventured into my first LAN experiment - setting up an NFS partition
>> - and backed up 9.6GB of data from the Windows laptop (from within
>> Linux) to my desktop running Linux before I started the above. Then
>> backed up a further 5.5GB of data onto a USB stick because it was
>> faster.
>>
>> Have uninstalled a 233mb dvd burning application and various other
>> junk software applications commonly plaguing Windows installs.
>>
>> Have managed to shrink the Vista partition by roughly 8GB but want to
>> shrink it some more, so am defragging with the 'optimize' option of
>> the Auslogics Disk Defragmentor.
>>

>> All To give more room to Linux - Hurray! :-)
>>

>> James.
>>

>> --
>> _
>> : http://jwm-art.net/