[Klug-general] Defragging Vista

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 09:14:51 UTC 2010

On 5 October 2010 09:28, David Halliday <david.halliday at gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't you have a backup of all your important files to protect against the
> event of disk failure, theft or little green men zapping your computer with
> ray guns?

<rant>Look, I've managed to ignore the backup brigade trying to
impress upon me the necessity of backups for well over 15 years now
and I don't intend to take any notice yet. My data as a partition is
never that important that I want to spend money on it. If I delete
something important accidently, I'd rather spend my time embracing the
pain of ext3_undelete than duplicating it and remembering to duplicate
it. If it happens that little green men with ray guns zap it, then it
was never meant to be and that's that. The code I wrote is either
backed up on my website or sourceforge or github.</rant>

> External HDDs aren't that expensive and are worth every penny.
> If you backup all your documents you can try "Just going for it". Worst
> case scenario you get to test out this useful tool to automatically install
> windows applications: http://ninite.com/

Worst case is the person whose laptop it is no longer has a working
windows vista.