[Klug-general] Defragging Vista

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 10:20:04 UTC 2010

Ok I've calmed down again.. for now :-)

I've found an interesting command line tool called ntfsclone[1] which
in Debian is provided by the ntfsprogs package.

As I setup NFS earlier last night, I can just use ntfsclone to clone
the laptop's Windows partition and write it straight to my desktop
machine with a single reasonably straightforward command line.  And
the good thing about this is, it will only copy system + user data but
not empty space, nor file system meta data, nor partition tables etc.

I'm hoping that if shrinking the partition with gparted does bork it,
then the clone will enable me to restore Windows to a working state.
Fingers crossed.

(I'm sending this in the hope that if someone knows it won't work
they'll catch me before I do any partition shrinking/clone
restoration).

James

[1] http://linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsclone