[Klug-general] newbie networking questions

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Fri Oct 8 12:04:50 UTC 2010

On 8 October 2010 12:37, David Halliday <david.halliday at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most routers allow you to assign an IP to a MAC address.
> So everything on the laptop/desktop level works the same (over DHCP) but you
> tell the router which IP to give to each device.
> Either that or you can set up your own internal DNS server.

Most routers will give a long enough lease for it not to be a problem,
unless you regually switch your router off, (which is always a
possibility I guess, power saving.....)

If your sometimes plug the laptop over cable it may get a different ip
depending on how it connects.

You can usally fix the ip by setting it to a non-dhcp address but
inside the network range.

Ie most routers are on 192.168.1.1

Most dhcp address 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.200 and you can change this
range in the settings, if you use somthing like 192.168.1.2 and set it
in the network settings it should not cause a problem and the machine
may connect quicker, you may however find it easier to set it in the
settings as surgested to david. I've actually found that quite a few
wifi routers now seam to be using an embeded version of linux
anyway.....

Peter