[Klug-general] newbie networking questions

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Fri Oct 8 12:01:17 UTC 2010

On 08/10/10 12:37, David Halliday wrote:
> Most routers allow you to assign an IP to a MAC address.
>
> So everything on the laptop/desktop level works the same (over DHCP) but
> you tell the router which IP to give to each device.
>
> Either that or you can set up your own internal DNS server.

My (rather simple) solution is to assign fixed IP addresses to machines
that act as servers.  Machines which act as clients get dynamic IP
addresses from the DHCP server integral to the access point.  It means
having a little /etc/hosts file which I ship to each of the machines -
but with only half a dozen machines on the network this is hardly a
hassle and means that I don't rely on the rather variable facilities
offered by the various access point/wireless hub devices.

MikeE