[Klug-general] Today's Meet

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 17:20:11 UTC 2010

On 25 September 2010 14:50, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:

> Even if there were only 7 of us at the KLUG meeting today, it was a
> good meeting, No talks but do we really need any when we can always
> talk and talk about any thing and any thing to do with computers.
>
> Subjects included.
>
> * Subversion vs Git what the best tool for version control.
> * why can't I type man dir in dos?
> * What are we going to do to keep our website up to date.
> * and how complicated can you make a security system in a college
> (swip cards on everything) and then just have everything swing open
> when the fire alarm goes off (including the server room and all the
> fire containment doors?) and still not know if everyone is actually
> out the building?
>
> Oh and while I'm here where do I find some beginners instructions to
> building a deb file (to install freepbx in ubuntu)
>
> Peter.

For the windows related thing I was reccommended (by someone more
knoledgable than myself) to look into:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/download.mspx
Windows PowerShell

I have yet to try it but have it on my list.

As far as security. There is no solution to allow one group of people 100%
easy access without allowing everyone 100% easy access. Perhaps we have to
think towards an 80/20 rule for this... Or perhaps I should focus on the
things I already know I need to do and haven't done.