[Klug-general] Today's Meet

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Sun Sep 26 19:40:45 UTC 2010

On 26 September 2010 07:36, James Blake <jimmyblake at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would love to have made it but unfortunately I had an exam (Certificate in
> Cloud Computing Security Knowledge, I could have chatted about how to
> perform a Denial of Service attack in DOS using DIR (how you can DoS in DOS
> using DIR).
> Trust me, no matter how complicated you make a security system it can always
> get worse.  In fact the de facto information security standard ISO 27001
> mandates that you make it worse every year, they call it 'continual
> improvement'  - users call it 'arrrrrgghhh'.
> Our offices are in King's Cross, which is not one of the most upmarket parts
> of London.  We have both swipe cards and keypad entry systems mandated by
> CESG, the government's information security agency, on both all external
> entrances and those between internal 'trust boundaries'.  Basically it is a
> duck's bottom - we have more cameras than Thames Television (Julia has been
> there).
> The first three times we did our fire drills and all of the fire exits swung
> open and stayed that way, providing convenient access from street level on
> three different roads into our offices.  The problem with mandating controls
> is that they simply can't account for all forms of human stupidity and
> neither can a CSO.
> Regards

I think the problem is that how you should handle the fire alarm is
very complex because you need to ensure that people can get out
quickly, and the fire brigade can get in, without having to security
clear every fire officer...... quite a problem. I guess what should
happen is.

1. Fire Alarm Goes Off
2. All Exits and Entrances open.
3. All Computer's auto lock down and shut down, automatically and can
not be accessed until the building is secured again. (and do it zone
by zone)
4. Text Message you fire Marshells with the head count, and phone the
fire brigade (Again automatic) and maybe even produce a list and get
it to a remote location.
5. Ideally count the people out (Quite easy just some kind of weight
strip on all the doors) and if you hit zero you can save the fire
brigade major risk because you know the building is empty sooner...

Of course its all totally floored but so is every system anyone will
ever come up with.

Peter