[Klug-general] TTY config

Stuart Brand stuart at stuartbrand.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 11:17:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 22:30 +0100, Julia Freeman wrote:

> For the last 12 years I have been a heavy user of the console TTY's under
> linux, as long as I can remember they have given me a terminal of 80x40,
> which has been perfect for the way I (ab)use linux.
>
> Unfortunately in the last dist-upgrade some bright spark decided that
> replacing the ever faithful 80x40 tty would be a good idea, so now I have
> some abominable frame buffer thing working at a stupid resolution with a
> tiny font that is not easy on the eyes after 36 hours of screen time.
>
> So.
>
> Is there a way I can undo this and return my tty to something usable?

I think this is what you are after? this happened to me when I compiled
a video driver, it added itself as a frame buffer and automatically
chose the highest resolution. or maybe find a why of blacklisting the
graphics driver at boot and only have it load when X starts?

anyway, link below

http://pierre.baudu.in/other/grub.vga.modes.html