[Klug-general] Bash / Curl Scripting Tuition 3

Stephen Ryan intrench at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 15 13:30:30 UTC 2011

Thank you Mike and David for those references. I will give them a good
lookover and a try.

I want to do Bash / Curl scripting because i have set myself a challenge to
remove all GUI and Windows from my life and operate only from the command
line.
I want to learn http protocol programming and how to write scripts to
interrogate my website and to scrape and download stats data.

I started in computer support when the very first PC was installed at the
company i worked at and I kind of grew up with DOS/QEMM/Desqview, Netware,
AS400 and that kind of stuff.
Did a lot of network integrations with Windows/IPX/SDLC/IP/Netbios kind of
stuff.

But i did not really get to involved in Unix which i really regret now.
There is a kind of fear barrier there for some reason.

I just need a command line and to try and get my head around starting to
write scripts. There is so much information out there, its pretty difficult
to know where to start and some of this stuff is extremely dry, so i need to
get it in my head in a more creative way.

I will try and find some local colleges and if you know any tutors please
let me know.

Cheers
Stephen