[Klug-general] BASH / CURL Scripting tutition 2

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 12:44:07 UTC 2011

Just sent my previous when I read this and realised that you're not
familiar with the unix stuff like I assumed you were.

There are lots of good web resources:

   http://www.freeos.com/guides/lsst/
   http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
   http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

However...

If you are starting from scratch then I would suggest that the bash
script is not the most versatile or readable scripting lanquage.  Any
distribution these days will support something like Python.  I'm not a
Python programmer myself but I am aware that there is a lot of stuff
written in it, your scripts will run on Windows (spit) as well as Linux,
and it has a large number of libraries available to help you with all
manner of things.

If whichever distribution you end up preferring doesn't install Python
as part of its normal range of packages you can be sure that it is only
a few clicks away using the package manager or a line or two at the
command prompt.

See:

   http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3946
   http://coolnamehere.com/geekery/python/pythontut.html