[Klug-general] To Dan regarding apology and response to Bash/Curl advice

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:32:16 UTC 2011

On 15/04/2011 17:46, Mike Evans wrote:

> On 15/04/11 17:33, Stephen Ryan wrote:
>> Ok sorry Dan.
>>
>> I misread the advisory below to mean, *edit the subject line when
>> sending and i thought that meant not replying (although it says ... when
>> replying doh!.*
>> "When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more
>> specific than "Re: Contents of Kent digest..."
>
> Gah - you've done it again!
>
> I don't know what mail reader you are using Stephen but the preferred
> behaviour is:
>
> Do not edit the subject line
> Simply reply to an email - usually using the mail reader's reply option.
>
> Provided you reply your mail reader should use the reply-to address of
> the header of the incoming mail, and the subject should remain unchanged
> (possibly with the insertion of a Re: which will be ignored)
>
> Most other people's mail reader will then group your emails and all
> associated responses into a single thread, which they can then choose to
> follow or not follow. So far you have created seven threads in my mail
> reader in the course of two days. All effectively about the same thing.
>
> If you want to reply to a person specifically then do so off-list by
> addressing it to them personally. Their addrss is in the From field of
> the incoming email.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Mike

Also, if you are having problems replying to list messages, some email
clients have a "reply to list" button which may fix it.

Also, to anyone whose mail client creates a different thread if the
subject is changed: get a better client. It shouldn't matter when the
subject says.

Damn, I was so tempted to change the Subject in this :)