[Klug-general] Hard Drives

James Blake jimmyblake at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 10:36:08 UTC 2011

Hi Peter

I guess the answer, as always, is that it depends what you're trying to do.

First SATA vs PATA:

PATA: with ATA-4 33 Mbps / with ATA-6 100 Mbps
SATA: 1.5 Gbps
SATA II: 3 Gbps

So SATA is a no brainer.  Now lets no SATA vs USB:

USB 1.1: 12 Mbps
USB 2.0: 480 Mbps

You'll still be constrained by the drive electronics in the enclosure as well, so internal SATA is a no brainer for transfer speed.  If you need to swap the drive between two machines get SATA toaster docks on both machines that connect to your machine's internal or external SATA interface and you simply plop the drive in - full SATA speed with USB-drive portability.

NAS over Gigabit Ethernet:

1 Gbps (theoretical)

Again, you'll still be constrained by the drive electronics in the enclosure as well.  I've got a couple of Drobo's here - great for redundancy and multi-protocol sharing (through the DroboShare, but nothing you can't do with internal SATA drives and in a Linux box.

James