[Klug-general] Kent Digest, Vol 321, Issue 8

Reece Fowell reece at codeconsortium.com
Sun Apr 24 12:13:48 UTC 2011

> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 07:53:20 +0100
> From: sharon kimble <boudiccas at talktalk.net>
> Subject: [Klug-general] Disaster Recovery?
> To: "Kent Linux User Group - General Topics" <kent at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>
> I've just installed Debian 6 as my desktop and in the process managed
> to format and install debain 6 onto my external hard drive. This
> contained <all> my backups of everything in my home folder. So now
> I'm having to start afresh with everything but means that I've also lost
> everything too.
>
> The drive was formatted either ext3 or ntfs, i'm not sure which, but i
> would be eternally grateful if someone could restore all the information
> on it, or work with me following their commands to restore it.
>
> i can be contacted here through email, or on the irc #klug channel with
> the same nick.
>
> Can you help me recover from this disaster please?
>
> If not, do you know any reputable disaster recovery people who don't
> charge an arm and a leg for restoring it?
>
> Sharon.

Have you looked at parted magic, its a linux distro on liveCD that is loaded
with utils for handling disks/formatting, volume recovery etc. You can load it up
then clone your disk to another backup, or use a recovery tool on the liveCD or liveDVD
whatever it is and hopefully you should do alright. Give it a go, link is:
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php