[Klug-general] Samba....

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Tue Apr 26 17:36:34 UTC 2011

I want to be able to do two things not necessarily at the same time
but can't see why not....

I've been asked to set up a File Server for a network of windows based
machines, So I'm guessing Samba here..... I guess I need to set up
Samba to run as a Windows PDC to sort out security and get all the
Windows XP Pro (I think thats what they have) to join the "Network"
Unless I can get the Samba server look like AD, but I'm not sure how
to go about this... They want passwords and some "Security" over the
files on the file server.....

While doing a bit of reading up on doing this I worked out it should
be possible to use Samba to do shared home directories on Linux and it
should work *better* than NFS.

Also can I join the Wins bit of the SMB to my DNS and not have so much
duplication of service.

However I've found very few instructions on how, what where and when
with samba and was looking for a few starting places.....

If I'm not making any sense, maybe someone can set me right.

Peter.