[Klug-general] A common app install framework for Linux

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 13:27:05 UTC 2011

This article:
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/OpenSUSE-hosts-meetings-on-common-app-installer/<http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/OpenSUSE-hosts-meetings-on-common-app-installer/?kc=rss>

Discusses the idea of a common application installation framework across
distributions. While many of them (apt-get, portage, rpm etc...) Have a lot
of common functionality. I'm assuming that some (portage for example) are
very distribution specific and provide the functionality that is required
for that distribution to scratch the particular itch it is designed for.

I imagine that while a common application installation method (and their
for better heterogeneity across repositories and applications) can be a big
potential bonus. Removing aspects like "Oh this application is provided as
source and rpm... But I use Ubuntu and don't want to have to compile". But
at the same time, compromises will have to be made that I'm sure many people
will fight hard over and with any compromise, some aspects will not
be favourable to all people.

The age old argument of "People will not adopt Linux as
easily/quickly/successfully until there is a common framework etc..." is
valid. This is a result of the fact that the biggest best aspect of Linux
and OSS is also its Achilles heal. That of choice, freedom and the ability
for anyone to take any part of it and do it differently to fit their
requirement (be it technical, social or philosophical reasons to want to do
things differently).