[Klug-general] A common app install framework for Linux

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 13:51:22 UTC 2011

On 03/02/2011 13:23, David Halliday wrote:
> This article:
> http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/OpenSUSE-hosts-meetings-on-common-app-installer/
> <http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/OpenSUSE-hosts-meetings-on-common-app-installer/?kc=rss>
>
> Discusses the idea of a common application installation framework across
> distributions. While many of them (apt-get, portage, rpm etc...) Have a
> lot of common functionality. I'm assuming that some (portage for
> example) are very distribution specific and provide the functionality
> that is required for that distribution to scratch the particular itch it
> is designed for.
>
> I imagine that while a common application installation method (and their
> for better heterogeneity across repositories and applications) can be a
> big potential bonus. Removing aspects like "Oh this application is
> provided as source and rpm... But I use Ubuntu and don't want to have to
> compile". But at the same time, compromises will have to be made that
> I'm sure many people will fight hard over and with any compromise, some
> aspects will not be favourable to all people.
>
> The age old argument of "People will not adopt Linux as
> easily/quickly/successfully until there is a common framework etc..." is
> valid. This is a result of the fact that the biggest best aspect of
> Linux and OSS is also its Achilles heal. That of choice, freedom and the
> ability for anyone to take any part of it and do it differently to fit
> their requirement (be it technical, social or philosophical reasons to
> want to do things differently).

One of the *big* problems in linux is the inability of software
producers to guarantee what goes where on an install which was
supposedly sorted out by LSB. Unfortunately that was hindered by the
fact that they took the worst package manager and added it to the
specifications. Audio and other media is a mess as well.

At the end of the day though, portage can install debs, rpms and any
other just like apt can install rpms. It still doesn't alter the fact
that a company wants to create a one-size-fits-all solution which is
what it gets in the rest of the world.

Distro fragmentation is definitely linux's noose round the neck currently.