[Klug-general] Keeping Files in sync but local

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Thu Feb 3 19:43:32 UTC 2011

I'm looking for a method, to do the following?

1. Mainly for keeping config files in sync between multiple boxes but may
also be other data files. ie the password files.
2. File must be local so it can be accessed even before the network is
working or while part of the network is broken, or while a use is away from
the network.
3. Files must be synced as soon as possible, or when we get back to the
office.
4. There is no master so you can't just copy the master once its been
updated. (so I can't just scp or rsync them in crontab)
5. Tell any programs reading the files that they have been updated, (Like
Logrotate does)

I'm sure there should be a simple way of doing this, but I'm not even sure
of the right words to use on Google.....

Thanks

Peter.