[Klug-general] Online file storage (is it a hard drive, is it cloud)

Tom Farrar tfarrar at moreover.com
Thu Feb 24 17:13:43 UTC 2011

Good Afternoon Alan,

It suggest going for a already established service like Dropbox which
supports Windows, Mac and Linux (with some 3rd party clients too, like
KDropbox).
Costing and security might need considering, but I would have thought it'd
come out cheaper than hosting your own solution and the problems that comes
with that. Other than that this might help:

http://fak3r.com/geek/howto-build-your-own-open-source-dropbox-clone/

In a former job we hosted a 'cloud backup system' and, personally, I'd say
it's more trouble that it's worth. We used a off the shelf solution that
just required front-end servers and storage, but even so it was still a chew
on.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Farrar