[Klug-general] Improving KLUG Meetings

Luc Tidy luc.tidy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 17:41:09 UTC 2011

*Improving KLUG Meetings*
/26th February 2011/

KLUG meetings are constantly evolving, and this process should be
encouraged and up for discussion. In a rather ad-hoc meeting we decided
to approach a few issues - primarly*Meeting Content*&*Organisation*.

We would appreciate your feedback and hope to plan meetings on a
quarterly basis to discuss progress.

*Meeting Content*

- Formal talks from members or guest speakers

- "Show and Tell" section for people to present things they are working
on, new software people might not have seen, web services etc. This
could be mandatory and as a way of introduction to the group.

- Q&A / Problem Solving Sessions / Development Discussions. This could
encourage break-out groups post talks.
- Discussions / debates
- KLUG Projects/Workshops?
     - Certain caveats/code of conduct require consideration?

- Lightning talks (though this may cross over with show and tell)

- Themed events, e.g. Security, Web apps, Kernel internals, Interoperability

- Drinks and Snacks

*Social Meetings*

To augment the "formal" quarterly meetings, around Kent, for social
events like pub/curry etc. Held on a Friday night, or similiar. Previous
attendance has dried up so requires opening up for discussion.

*Virtual Meetings*

- Virtual, supplementary meetings at scheduled times
     - Includes people in hard to reach areas, or with an inability to
travel
     - Promotes use of IRC channel
     - Investigate possible voice/screen sharing options
         - Mumble/TS, Skype, VNC, GoToMeeting, YuuGuu etc.

*Organisation*

/-/If meetings are going to start later in the day, it has been
suggested to increase their length so they take up the whole day, rather
than being a 3 hour stint that makes full use of the day impossible.
     1100 - 1700
     1200 - 1800

- We currently have locations all over the place. Are there any central
places that are particularly easy to get to by everyone using pubic
transport?

- A shared Google Calendar as a way of seeing when the nexts meetings are.

These points are a brief start of potential changes that KLUG could see
in the future. The plan is to, from this basic discussion, extend into a
formal, planned meeting at some point.

*tl;dr:* What do you think of these? What would you like to see from KLUG?

~A collaborative effort of:
Luc, Spode, Julia, Boudiccas