[Klug-general] Auto Updating Photo Slide Show

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 16:22:48 UTC 2011

Well, this was interesting!

My full documentation and script are here:
http://david-halliday.co.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=linux:scripts:slide_show_from_email

Got the script working last night to these requirements:

   1. Check email account, download new messages, extract images and copy to
   image dir.
   2. Update a database with new images (sqlite for example from shell
   script).
   3. Select image file from database (which contains numbers on priority
   and times image shown) semi random favouring new images or those with high
   priority.
   4. Handing the file name to an application (qiv for example) which will
   then display that image.
   5. Every 5 images (perhaps we can make this variable) display a nice
   image saying “send your picture to whatever at email.com”

Solutions:

   1. This was managed by offlineimap and mpack.
   2. Bash script and sqlite3.
   3. The image priority is using a 4 digit random number (which can have
   preceding 0's) + (times viewed * 100). The length of the random number and
   the multiplier are both variables.
   4. I used feh as it had the "cycle once" option which qiv didn't seem to
   have (and then exit to rebuild the list of files).
   5. I created a custom image to display separately from the rest.

If people like I will demo this and explain in more detail at a future lug
meeting. I feel good about this one :)