[Klug-general] How rude!

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 11:01:06 UTC 2011

On 18/07/11 11:16, Michael E. Rentell wrote:
> I've just installed some windoze software (including the Access 2010
> runtime) to my VirtualBox-hosted XP and it popped a very bald message
> 'This software will not run on a virtual machine'.

I suppose they can write what they like in the terms of use, which
effectively becomes part of the contract.  However it seems to me that
if you bought the software (or otherwise obtained it legally) and are
not using it in some way that violates the single user principle it was
sold for, it should be for you to decide whether the machine you run it
on is virtual, physical or phantasmagorical.

Maybe the EU will take that view also in time and those Microsoft people
will find themselves paying another heavy fine.