[Klug-general] How rude!

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 19 13:27:42 UTC 2011

On 18/07/11 20:43, Dan Attwood wrote:

>     I've just installed some windoze software (including the Access
>     2010 runtime) to my VirtualBox-hosted XP and it popped a very bald
>     message 'This software will not run on a virtual machine'.
>

> when I read this this morning it didn't seem right - a virtual machine
> after all should appear any different to the OS then a physical one.
> So I've just tested it.
>
> I downloaded the latest access runtime from:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=10910
> <http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=10910>
>
> and the sample database from:
> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21733
>
> I then installed them to Windows XP SP 3 32bit with all the latest
> updates running in Virtualbox 4.0.12
>
> the access runtime installed and ran the runtime perfectly and let me
> open and play with the database.

How very interesting. Thanks for that. What I did was  download the
trial version of some club management software called MemberBase from a
company in NZ . It required the Access 2010 runtime because it also
required me to download that in order to make it work. When I started up
the trial software I got the 'won't work here' message. I think I
assumed it was the Access runtime that was complaining because that was
doing all the work, but maybe it is inside MemberBase that it occurs.
All very annoying as it meant I had to install it on my backup machine
with its separate Win7 partition, where it works fine. Might not buy it
though - perhaps I can cobble together a member management database from
LibreOffice Base. That might be fun.