[Klug-general] Presentation Software

Colin McCarthy binarysignal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 08:00:21 UTC 2011

On 21 July 2011 19:26, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:
> Is there any half decent presentation software for Linux out there?

Gedit and print to a PDF. Then view PDF full screen. Simples.

> Everyone uses Power Point, which to be quite simple is Windows/Mac Only and
> ain't actually partially good either. I suspect because its never really had
> very much competition. Its good enough but its a bit like IE4 (need I say
> more)

PowerPoint or Keynote does what is says on the tin. It allows you to
create slides and display full screen. What more does one need?  In
business content in black and white or more important than flashy
transitions and scrolling text.  PowerPoint 2010 is nothing like IE4.
It's the most stable version yet and now works well with embedded
Excel tables.

> OOO Impress is a bit clunkey but the current version under Ubuntu will not
> handle Video at all! Lets say I don't think anyone at Sun ever spend much
> time on it.

Its accepted in business that you break out of PowerPoint to start a
video or view YouTube.  Embedding video into a file is a disaster and
a feature one doesn't really need in my opinion.