[Klug-general] Fwd: pclinuxos installation with RAID

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 13 11:14:18 UTC 2011

Good morning all,

My neighbour is trying to install PCLOS and, unlike me, is having
problems. We think it is his RAID array on a PCI card. He writes:

Info:-

System:- Old Dell motherboard (celeron 341 32/64 bit) 2GB ram, IDE DVD,
2-500GB sata hard drives
in a mirrored raid array via a PCI 4 port serial ATA host controller
card (SIL-3114).
Distro:- pclinuxos full monty kde
Bios is set to boot the system from the PCI card, works fine for Windows
XP and some other linux distros.
I'm trying to install by booting from a DVD to existing linux
partitions. root 15GB, home 55GB & swap 5GB.
Boots to a black screen and a boot prompt that says can't find image and
hangs at a boot prompt.
Tried at the boot prompt, "vmlinuz raid=autodetect", lot of screen text
then just hangs at nothing.
These drivers supplied with the PCI card:-
Fedora C2 32bit
Fedora C2 64bit
Fedora C3 32bit
Fedora C3 64bit
Fedora C4 32bit
Fedora C4 64bit
Linux 64bit
  RedHat
  SuSE
RedHat EL30 32bit
RedHat EL30 64Bit
RedHat Ent40 32bit
RedHat Ent40 64bit
RedHat Ent41 32bit
RedHat Ent41 32bit
SuSE Ent90 R551 32bit
SuSE Ent90 R551 64bit
SuSE Pro92 32bit
SuSE Pro93 32bit
SuSE Pro93 32bit
I wouldn't know which to use or when and how to install one.
Can any body help a newbee?
It seems that my raid array is not seen, can't find any disks.

Anyone any bright ideas?

MikeR
Folkestone