[Klug-general] poor mans svn

Mike Evans mike at tandem.force9.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 13:06:31 UTC 2011

> So not really version control as such and no good for teams of more than
> one
> but working nicely for me.

Not version control at all in fact.  I know I bang on about eclipse - but
that does at least have some built in version control.  i.e. you can go
back to a version at a given time and you can configure how many versions
it keeps (I think by number and or date) which is really handy for work
within a session, where you don't feel you want to check work back in but
you carry on making changes and then want to go back to this morning or
yesterday morning's version.

The value in version control is that you don't realise how much you wanted
the version from last week/month/year until you realise how messed up the
version you now have is.  When something horrible is happening someone
will be shouting "Well it didn't have that bug last month" - well it may
or may not have had, but if you can't resurrect the version from last
month and do a meaningful comparison you will never know.  Trying to undo
from memory is the best way I know of introducing new and even more evil
bugs.