[Klug-general] rsync woes, or, version control for web-developers?

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 21:39:59 UTC 2011

Yes - I looked at the link - but when you wrote "if I edit files on the
server" I thought you were meaning editing the live files.  Editing
files on the server by extracting them from the hub git repository and
putting them back there is really no different from editing them on any
other machine.  In that case you don't need to copy files around with
rsync as git should take care of it all - including updating a clone you
have on another machine.

The bogeyman only strikes if you edit files which are accessed by the
live webserver.  I see that the article assumes you might do that - in
any organisation I've worked in the post-commit script would email the
bogeyman directly.  Quite often the bogeyman was me :)

In fact there would always be an additional step.  Prime would in fact
be the repository that the pre-production server ran from.  There would
be another repository, must better protected, on from that to which
versions signed off in pre-production test would get pushed.  And the
key thing there would be that the development team would not have rights
to do that.