[Klug-general] rsync woes, or, version control for web-developers?

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 05:21:37 UTC 2011

On 13 November 2011 21:39, Mike Evans <mike at tandem.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> Yes - I looked at the link - but when you wrote "if I edit files on the
> server" I thought you were meaning editing the live files.

That is what I meant.

> The bogeyman only strikes if you edit files which are accessed by the live
> webserver.  I see that the article assumes you might do that - in any
> organisation I've worked in the post-commit script would email the bogeyman
> directly.  Quite often the bogeyman was me :)

Ah hadn't realized you meant a flesh and bone bogeyman. That would be
myself then.

I'm wondering though if git is not overkill. I don't really need a
long history of versions, but having some history will certainly prove
useful. And the history might eventually need pruning due to space
limits.

I've only looked at the immediate surface of what rsync can do. I
could write scripts so I didn't have to remember the exact rsync
commands for up/down transfers. The only problem is accidentally doing
the wrong thing is quite painful as I've found out. Maybe the script
could rsync to a backup before rsync overwrote anything? Hmm.

James.