[Klug-general] Ubuntu upgrade problem

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 11:48:40 UTC 2011

On 14/10/11 12:06, Michael E. Rentell wrote:

> 2. Can't access USB from VBox now, message clip says that my username
> should be added to vboxusers group. I could do that with a gui tool
> under pclinuxos but don't know how to do it with ubuntu - maybe a cli?
> I've read the various blurbs about cli's but still baffled

I'm pretty sure the Ubuntu gives you the option to add groups and add
users to them using a GUI.

However, like everything, you can do it from the command line too:

groupadd vboxusers

Would create the group vboxusers if it doesn't already exist.  (Though
it probably does as it's more than likely that the vbox installation
will create it.)

usermod -G vboxusers <your-username>

would add <your-username> to the group.

Finally the simple command 'groups' will list the groups of the current
user.

The text file /etc/group is the one affected by all of this and doing

   less /etc/group

should enable you to have a look around and see how it all works under
the covers.  With careful use of a text editor you can even manipulate
the file directly rather than using the commands above.  (only
recommended for the brave, the bloody minded, and those like me who are
too senile to remember all the above commands :) )