[Klug-general] Re-branding the L in LUG

Ian itco at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 22:00:07 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

FWIW, here are my thoughts, but first a little background to put them in
context.

I am a comparative newbie to Linux, only having experience of Ubuntu
10.04 [I don't like Unity] and PCLOS. I don't have a programming
background, and come to Linux as a Windows user familiar with a GUI
interface which I want to continue using. I understand that the command
line may be a better way of controlling what goes on, but [a] I don't
feel confident in using it, and [b] it seems a bit like going back to
the days of Windows 3.1 when you had to use DOS to do anything
meaningful.

I did attend one KLUG meeting back in December I think, and whilst I was
made to feel welcome, 95% of what was discussed and said went straight
over my head. I haven't been back since because I didn't feel it had
much relevance to my needs and because of work commitments on a
Saturday. Whilst I can get Ubuntu to pretty much everything I want it to
do on a basic level, I would like to learn more but feel a little
intimidated with the current KLUG setup.

I would agree with Paul that there is a need to nuture newbies and those
pondering the migration to Linux, as well as meeting the needs of the IT
professionals and the Linux literate. Might one solution be to split the
meeting into two groups to meet the respective needs of each camp after
a short welcome session? My knowledge is very limited, but I would be
happy to contribute [work commitments permitting].

Finally I want to stress that I am trying to be constructive and I
applaud and appreciate the efforts made by those who have got this thing
off the ground and keep it functioning. I do however feel that there
must also be other people like me who don't get much, if anything, from
the current setup. Could KLUG meet our needs as well please?

Thanks for getting this far.

Ian