[Klug-general] dvd problems

Peter Childs PChilds at bcs.org.uk
Tue Oct 18 20:08:42 UTC 2011

> Only one OS and one machine, this is it! But I've discovered that the
> machine
> is not level, its leaning to one side, so tomorrow I'll try to get it all
> level and try again. But I will try loading the DVD off-centre and see if
> that
> makes any difference.

I've met 4 different types of CD drive and I presume DVD loading drive.....

1. Tray Loading Drive, (the normal type) these have a tray and the disk is
held in centre by the shape of the tray.

2. Tray Loading Drive with holding spindle commonly found in laptops where
the CD is held on the spindle by clips on the "spindle" that also spins the
disks.

3. Top Loading CD drive similar to 2 but with a static spindle and laser and
a lifting door, like an old fashed vinal. I've never seen this in a PC but
simular to 2,

4. No Tray slot drive like found in the WII and Apple.... but these seam to
be the most modern often found in cars? I wounder if there is a reason for
this?

The slot drives are commonly found in vertical and horizontal, and I've used
Tray drives in the Vertical and never noticed any issues, except putting
CD's in is "interesting" Laptops with the Spindle Based Tray drives do seam
to prefer to be level...... so levelling the machine *might* help, so I
would not rule it out entirely.

If we are talking about a desktop, you might need a new drive.

Mostly the issues are, either a> Dirt, or b> Scratches, or c> Damaged Lazar.

I would suggest trying the blanks in another machine before writing them off
as it may bea issue with the drive.

Peter.