[Klug-general] Reorganisation

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-electrical-projects.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 18:05:51 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Because the LUG looked in imminent collapse with Colin and Dan unable to
spare time I suggested that I take back control while we resolve it's
future. They both agree and suggest I post this message of hand over.

First thanks to both of them I know its hard work and hopefully we can
all sort this out.

For much of this year I'm extremely busy myself so while I try and
rearrange things I suggest these points for discussion/consideration:

1. Monthly meets seem to have variable numbers turn up. I suggest we
change to quarterly, this way there is ample time to plan, discuss and
arrange what we want to do, have enough material that can be advertised
in advance so people can decide if they want to come and so we don't
have to spend too much time trying to get things done.

2. To aid the above I suggest a formal group with responsibly to arrange
the events. I know this has been done before and had mixed results. I
don't have time to mess around so I will happily drive this along so
long as others are prepared to commit to it too. If anyone is already
acting in this regard or involved with the various websites etc then
contact me off-list so I know.

3. Funding. I don't want members to pay subs. I want to make that clear.
It is however a difficult subject and here I have an idea, one that sort
of helped when I first set the LUG up. Originally we had to pay subs, I
paid them so we could help share the costs of the room hire, they
weren't much but along side my private business activities I was able to
recoup those costs quite quickly. My suggestion is we either take
sponsorship and/or create an income through some kind of (very) basic
consultancy/support work, perhaps taking some kind of small percentage
into the LUG the rest going to the person doing the work. I have a few
possibilities already regarding sponsorship but I can't discuss them
right now. Exact details we can sort out as its only an idea, I have a
number of VAT registered companies and I'm an qualified book keeper,
plus my wife is treasurer to a charity, I don't think the admin is going
to be a problem. The work will be but might be. Will worry about that
bit later. I think this could be an option, again its only an idea as a
way to get around the need for subs, although the need for income
depends on the next point.

4. Venues. I've not been for a while, so if you have a venue you are
currently aiding the LUG with and/or you have one you want the LUG to
use then please contact me off-list so we can discuss.

Of course all of the above are just my initial thoughts likewise with me
back leading.

I hope we can get this LUG reinvigorated with some new ideas and take it
to new places. On the 22nd I have a bit of time to focus on the LUG so
if I can have any responses over the next week so I can take these into
account that weekend. I should then have something back on here sometime
the following week.

Thank you and as always I will listen to any comments with an open mind.

Kev,