[Klug-general] Future of KLUG, an offer/idea

Luc Tidy luc.tidy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 15:51:06 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I've been busy lately with PhD shenanigans, and it's a shame that KLUG
is going through some troubled times. I understand ICMP, which some of
us are involved with, is going well and has offered up hosting in the
past. Without wanting to be doom mongering, I would like to put an idea
in the pot that would provide an option for KLUG.

For the past five years I have been running a tabletop gaming society
over at the University of Greenwich at Medway. Having done this for so
long I am aware of the paperwork that UMSA - the Universities at Medway
Student Association - require.

I can appreciate this is not in the spirit of being able to move around,
but I can guarantee a regular booking in a lecture room with
projectors/whiteboards and food facilities fairly close by. Being a
student society, it will require student input but with two of the three
campuses offering degrees in IT/CompSci/CompEng this may also increase
membership - and currently plug a hole that UMSA has; as it has no
computer soc.

To allay concerns, outside entities are more than happy to come along -
as long as we're catering to students it works; having done this with my
tabletop gaming society for a while now. Similarly bar the holiday
period, this can be run year around, and a Saturday slot can be kept; or
other dates and frequencies are available.

What are your thoughts?

~Luc