[Klug-general] Future of KLUG, an offer/idea

Luc Tidy luc.tidy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 21:37:10 UTC 2012

I'll clarify and respond where possible.

My reasoning is to ensure KLUG, in some form, continues. In order to
enable that my method was to introduce a "base-of-operations" with which
it could be affiliated with. Indeed, other avenues are worth exploring
as you mentioned, I was merely proposing what I could provide. I
appreciate your opinion, but I would also like some evidence to detail
why my idea is flawed, and if you have alternatives then please detail
them. What matters here, ultimately, is what would be the best to keep
KLUG going.

What I can offer to form a base upon is a society. I will admit that
this is a duality however, I wanted to provide a brief overview of the
society operation as well as from elsewhere. There are items in place
with which to get the society up and running, something which I am
familiar with - including areas of concern.

As particular items have been highlighted I will address them:
. Issues of politics I have been dealing with for some years along with
the bureaucracy that it brings - something which I am willing to
address, and when required to detail to people (beyond the brief summary).
. Boundaries imposed by UMSA will have to be adhered to, and its
regulations followed. This is why I am not proposing KLUG become a
society, but to be affiliated with it.
. I am trying to propose a method that would leave the operations of
KLUG largely left untouched, and its structure largely left alone; hence
affiliation.
. A society would require students in order to operate, and the funding
would have to go back into 'MedComSoc' to aid the student populous
there, but this opens up avenues with KLUG affiliation. With the quoted
amounts, I was demonstrating what could be done within the society.
. To be clear, I run a society with non-students who are members and
there is no issue.
. The room booking paperwork is as such, that although non-UMSA entities
can book rooms, only UMSA-entities can book them for free. To be clear,
only 'student union' affiliated societies can book rooms for free.
.To clarify on society expenditure on: equipment, meetings,
advertisement, and excursions are all common activities. From the
'student union' perspective, within reason, as long as expenditure is to
the benefit of the society (and agreed as such) then it's OK. Again, as
KLUG is affiliated its finances do not need to be managed in such a way.
.I would put it that non-student membership of a society can be
organised, and of course all the limitations and benefits that it brings
will be detailed in full before a decision is made by the individual.
.As for the activity of a society, I agree. The society I run meets
twice a week in fact (with a Sunday or two every month) however, that is
not the focus of my method; indeed it's how the affiliation and
therefore continued existence of the KLUG community can be achieved.

Kind Regards,
~Luc