[Klug-general] Future of KLUG, an offer/idea

alex.layfield at sky.com alex.layfield at sky.com
Mon Feb 20 19:57:03 UTC 2012

Couldn't have put it better myself...

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Evans <mike at tandem.f9.co.uk>
Sender: kent-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:51:31
To: Kent Linux User Group - General Topics<kent at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [Klug-general] Future of KLUG, an offer/idea
Putting all the politics to one side for the moment, perhaps I could
just make a few observations.

1)  Colin is no longer able to put in the work he has in the past (for
which we are grateful) to arrange and chair monthly KLUG meetings on a
regular basis.  At present there does not appear to be anyone in a
position or willing to do that role in that way.

2)  There may well be a demand for a student based Linux or Open Source
society, such as Luc proposed.  For various political and ideological
reasons there are objections to KLUG becoming that society.  However, if
such a society existed there does not seem to be any reason why KLUG
could not hold some of its meetings in association with that society.
Such an arrangement would provide a venue and some potentially useful
cross-fertilisation between the two groups.

3)  We have the domain name registered and paid for for some years to
come and Julia is currently hosting it for free.  This is a resource
which is currently used in a minimal way, but this has the advantage
that it is not a huge burden to keep updated, is stable, and it does act
as a useful entry point for enquirers.

4)  The mailing list is reasonably active and for the most part well
behaved.  At the moment is, in essence, the group - that is more or less
where we meet.

5)  The IRC channel is, in my view, underused.  If people are not
willing/able to travel to meetings the IRC channel would provide a
useful conversation place in lieu of regular meetings.  Perhaps all that
is needed is to schedule a regular meeting there and remind people about
it on the website and mailing list.  This could more easily be an
evening thing rather than hitting a weekend and I'd be happy to take
that on for a trial period if people would find it helpful.

6)  Given the difficulty of organising physical meetings around the
county and getting enough people to attend them I would suggest that
perhaps such formal meetings could be reduced to quarterly.  If we had
four venues which are used in turn, and a person who acts as the
organiser for that venue that would mean that each person would have to
organise only one meeting per year.  The role would involve putting out
regular calls for talks etc and organising the agenda in advance of the
meeting.

7) Pub meetings can be great fun and there is no reason why anyone can't
organise one in their area.  If you want one at a pub near you just find
a couple of others who want it too, fix a date [off list], and then if
you like, advertise it on this list.  If no one else shows up at least
three of you had a good evening.  It's really that simple.  You don't
have to commit to making it monthly or any other frequency.