[Klug-general] KLUG Meetings

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Mon Jan 9 18:51:17 UTC 2012

If people want a meeting in Dover, then fine, But someone in that part of
Kent will have to organise it, Kent is a big place and if we want to meet
in Dover and other places we need to split organisation of thouse meets to
people who are near the venues to organise and advertise them properly to
the locals.

If someone wants a meet in Dover then they can organise it, but I've got no
plans to start doing stuff by remote control.

KLUG was started as a roadshow to bring this thing called Linux to Kent.
but times have changed and moved on and KLUG needs to move with them.

We are now competing with a lot of other IT stuff that happens in Kent,
ICMP, digibury, etc etc, and KLUG has its place but I'm not sure it is what
it was.

If we can get good speakers in for a date other than the Last Saturday in
the month, then we can hold meets at other times, provided we have enough
notice to book venues and organise people.

I see Klug as a group of Linux people to encorage Linux/GNU/Software
Freedom in Kent we are not a group of geeks who meet on the last Saturday
in the month in autopilot.

If we use the List, website, IRC etc to advertise, list and organise IT
events in Kent, then we have done our job. If all we manage is aid
communicate among people who use Linux within Kent then we have done our
Job.

Peter.