[Klug-general] ACTA

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Tue Jan 31 19:22:58 UTC 2012

On 31 January 2012 17:59, David Halliday <david.halliday at gmail.com> wrote:

> I get the feeling that the biggest complaint about ACTA is the way that
> people have gone about it (in secret and without public interaction).
> http://www.stopacta.info/
>
> I haven't read the agreement or much of the related summations in
> sufficient detail at this point in time but I get the feeling that some
> parts of it are already loosely in play and it's aim is to tighten them.
>
> I do feel that there is an enormous black hole in where responsibility
> lies for copyright infringement. Especialy given the international nature
> of the internet and the laws around it.
> This is an interesting case in point:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/06/funnyjunk-vs-the-oatmeal.ars
>
> Legislation of some sort is required to protect and help legitimate
> content creators like the oatmeal.
> Legislation is required to protect the interests of media producers
> (Hollywood etc...) to some extent. I don't condone piracy as it has become
> on P2P networks and the vast majority of the pirate bay (Wooden legs and
> eye patches AAAARRRRRRRRRR OK with me).
> Legislation is required to protect people from the big corperations and
> governments who might want to leverage them for financial or political gain.
>
> The requirement for legislation is clear. The route to it and solution is
> also clear, just not as clear as the existance and whereabouts of the Higgs
> Boson was five years ago.

After listening to a talk by Richard Stallman a few weeks ago on Copyright.
I tend to agree with what he said.

ie: Copyright for 5 Years (not 100 years) and ensure that all
the royalties go to the author NOT the publishers.

Currently as it stands if an author wants to reproduce there own works they
have to try and get the publisher to reprint which they often claim is not
worth it. Plus the author gets nothing anyway.......

Publishers should be able to make enough money anyway from hmm duplication
fees etc.

Peter.