[Klug-general] H Drive mount

Rich klug-mail at richayres2.plus.com
Tue Jan 31 22:24:56 UTC 2012

On 31/01/12 17:45, David Halliday wrote:
> Just some quick sanity checks (don't take them personally):
>
>    1. This message comes from when Linux is booting and not the BIOS
>       booting.
>    2. The BIOS set-up on the machine recognises the disk.
>    3. If possible S.M.A.R.T. checking is enables and hasn't fired any
>       errors for the disk (possible with old disks).
>    4. All physical connections have been given the usual extra
>       wiggle/push to tighten.
>
> A couple of pointers/questions:
>
>    1. What distribution are you using?  ----- Ubuntu 10.04 server
>

>    1. Have you configured the disks to be checked at boot time? (See
>       pass-num: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab ) ----------No
>    2. What is the file system being used? (EXT3/EXT4 etc...)
>       -------EXT4
>    3. At what point/which application/process/log gives that error
>       message?

The exact error message is " fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
  This is followed by /dev/sad1 clean xxxxxx files xxx blocks
   samefor sda3
       These are the root and home partitions of first disc.
  The next  line is "The disc drive for /mnt is not ready yet or not present
  Continue to wait or Press to skip mounting or M for manual recovery?
  Is this something connected with grub2 ? How can I initiate the fsck
for sdb1 which seems to need to be done before mounting or am I
completely on the wrong track. I am not sure where I should put this
(Don't Say it - I know what you are thinking), presumably somewhere in
the sdb1 entry.
    I have tried all your other suggestions for which much thanks