[Klug-general] routing on smoothwall

Alan Buchel alan at communitytechnology.org.uk
Wed Nov 21 20:03:04 UTC 2012

I have 2 servers on separate sites replicating overnight via the
networks main internet uplinks.
There are no longer enough hours in the night for the rep to complete
though, but also doing it in the day takes so much bandwidth that the
users' internet becomes unusable.

Have therefore installed a new broadband line on each site to be used
for replication only. The uplinks are firewalled by smoothwall boxen,
and my problem is getting the servers to talk to eachother via this
uplink as opposed to the default gateway.

Have tried setting static routes on the servers so they go out through
smoothwall when they want to communicate. Then on the smoothies:

route add -net 10.20.224.2 netmask 255.255.255.255 gw 81.2.xxx.xxx eth0

where:
10.20.224.2 = the server on the other site
81.2.xxx.xxx = the smoothwall on the other site

but of course I get:

SIOCADDRT: No such process.

I am misunderstanding something about routing and probably networking
theory, does anyone have any advice or pointers?

Alan