[Klug-general] Kent LUG is alive!

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Thu Feb 21 20:44:17 UTC 2013

On 21 Feb 2013 20:35, "Kevin Groves" <kgroves at ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 21/02/13 20:14, Peter Childs wrote:
>>
>> Maybe its time to encorage other forms of meet. We have irc but its
deathly quite and this list has only got busy over the last week.....

> IRC could be worth a go but textual forms can be confusing. I
teach/lecture a lot in both voice and textual form and it takes tighter
control for text. Not impossible but has its problems.

>> We went through a stage of having pub meets in Maidstone once.
>
> Yes. I never went to any of those but I think they were OK.
>

>> I had a look at openconference a few weeks ago. Would some kind of web
based conferencing be used. Basically to try and engage better
communication.

> Quite agree there. You have a point. I know we tried some forms but the
scale is the key, some of them failed when more came in. I will take a look
at that tech, what did you think of it?

Apache openconference is worth a look. I looked at big blue button but
could not get it installed.

The issue with Google hangout was that is just too bloated.

We also need to get people to be online at the same time so there is
actually someone to talk too.

Peter

>> I did hear somthing from someone at medway universities a few months
back so maybe that's worth looking at.

> That went quiet.
>
>> Part of the issue is our high venue requirements. Ie easy to get to,
free, and has Internet access.

> Yes we do have high requirements. When I can get my act together at work
we can make use of those offices with lots of room, although lacking
projector.

> Kev,
>

>> Peter
>>
>> Yes it's a struggle at the moment finding venues that are free. Dan is
looking at one for me, I had thought Maidstone Library were out of the
running but suddenly I've heard from them after a month or so and they can
now do it for free I think. They want me to visit to discuss but seeing I'm
in east Kent and they wanted to do this during the working week that is not
going to happen. I need to sort out one Saturday instead to go up to see
them so that may be in the next month or so as I don't tend to go that part
of the county often.

>> Other than that no other venue options so no meets can be planned until
we have some. :-(

>> Will keep my ear to the ground. Hopefully might get a chance to network
over this weekend as I'm mentoring for work's EPIK coding weekend so if I
can find any other locations then I will give them a go.